This is definitely not the next Top Gear blog, you’re not going to get chat about horsepower turbo torque here. I passed my driving test 6 months ago so my vehicle knowledge leaves a wee bit to be desired!
But here’s what I do know about our new campervan so far:
- she’s a Toyota HighAce (nowhere near as expensive as a VW but hopefully semi-reliable).
- she’s dark green.
- she’s got some rather funky red polka dot curtains, a cool spinny-roundy front seat and a Rock’n’Roll bed (which sounds very exciting).
- she’s quite noisy to drive and hard to park, but you get a great view being up so high.
We named her Hiro because:
- Toyota’s are Japanese (possibly not new information for most people).
- Milo is a MASSIVE fan of superheroes! Our world is full of Superman, Batman, and all those new Avenger ones I haven’t quite got my head around yet.
- Campervans are girls apparently. There aren’t enough girl superheroes in the world so Hiro will be a girl superhero!
We bought her from a lovely family in Falkirk in May and drove her the rather hairy journey back home with her dodgy brakes and steering. We’ve been getting her road-worthy and ready for her first journey ever since (got the brakes, steering, tyres and cam belt fixed- that’s as technical as you’re going to get!)
She’s got a few dents and rusty bits, and some left over chicken poop that will not scrub off on the dashboard where a very vicious cockerel had settled in at her previous home, but we’re pretty fond of her already.